Daily Progress: Engines, Engines, and More Engines

Today’s progress was basically just engine texturing with a bit of changes made to the Aerial Skirmisher.

 

So let’s start with the Aerial Skirmisher. I made one change to it today

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.43.08 PM.png

You notice the one change? The control surfaces (the reddish part) is what I changed. Now, the normal mapping is more intense and the emissive is a little less intense. The goal is to create more depth in the texture. Before, there wasn’t as much depth. This is mostly due to the emissive texture. If the emissive is too high, it washes out the normal. The normal and height map were bumped up and I added an occlusion map as well. I believe that this result is much better than the one before.

 

Now onto the Garud Mk. 1. Basically all I textured today was the engines. VTOL engines, engine pumps, and thrust engines. I’d already started the thrust engines yesterday, but now they’ve got much more progress. Here’s what I have:

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.42.40 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.41.28 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.41.16 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.41.44 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.42.54 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.43.21 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.43.33 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.43.45 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.45.08 PM

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.42.00 PM

The thrust engines now have rivets and textured panel lines:

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.54.32 PM.png

I also added metal grids to the engines. There’s still a bit more work to be done, potentially with changing the textures of the actual vents to something emissive, or adding some burn marks, or maybe even adding some more panel lines. However, the texture is fast approaching something closer to done.

The engine pumps are now also finished, with a steel texture all around and a nice emissive I whipped up in Substance Designer for the output of the engine pump:

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.57.33 PM.png

Finally, I textured the VTOL engines. These were a bit tricky, but ultimately, I opted for rusty painted steel, with the fan blades being pure steel. I added some wear effects as well. The main question I still have yet to solve is twofold: the first is which color to make the engines. I experimented with three and ended up settling on black for now:

Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.42.20 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.42.11 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-09 at 9.42.00 PM

I may end up revising the color. The other thing I’m not sure about is whether the engines need panel lines with rivets or not. I may add in some rivets here and there, but I’ll probably stay away from panel lines. It’s something I’m not super sure about yet.

With all of today’s progress, there’s still the vertical stabilizers in the back left and the guns. It’s not a ton, but probably another day’s work, assuming I don’t come back to any other parts of this aircraft.

 

As always like, subscribe, and share!

 

Here’s the thumbnails of the images:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s