Daily Progress: The Garud Mk. 1 Color Changes and Engines Work

Alright, to be fair, this isn’t really daily progress, but unfortunately, I’ve had to recover from a surgery I had done several days ago. I’m now back at it, and this time, I’ve continued the focus on the Garud Mk. 1. Last time I wrote, I was still painting some details onto the fuselage and had only just begun the wing. There’s been a good amount of progress since then.

The fuselage has some more nuanced wear effects on it, in the form of the undercoating of metal showing through. The majority of the work has focused on changing up the monochrome shading of it. Here’s what I have so far:Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.23.09 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.23.25 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.23.37 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.24.03 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.24.14 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.24.27 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.24.37 PM

I added some red highlights to the nose of the aircraft to break up the monotony a bit. While it’s not super realistic, it does make for a great stylistic aircraft. The next major set of changes are to the underside of the aircraft as a whole. The underside of the aircraft is a grayish painted steel material as opposed to the camo texture on the top. This is actually based on realism: real fighter aircraft do not have a uniform camouflage applied to them. Rather the underside is painted to match something along the lines of the sky while the top is painted to match the ground texture. In this case, it really helps to bring out the detail.

Next up were panel lines and rivets for the wings. These small details are designed to make the aircraft more old and outdated in appearance. Finally, I started to texture the engines. They aren’t anywhere near finished yet, but I’ll probably stick with the painted metal color on them right now and throw on some panel lines and rivets.

Now the other main thing I did is not at all associated with the actual work itself, but it does help me personally. I switched from doing this project on my laptop to my desktop, which is infinitely more powerful. With access to a 5k resolution, I rendered this image:

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.25.16 PM

The other thing I worked on was the clouds. Before, the clouds weren’t amazing. Now they are a bit more realistic. The clouds are a particle system, since there doesn’t seem to be any other means of building good looking clouds in Unity 3d (without paying large sums of money that I’m not willing to pay for just clouds).


As always, like subscribe, and share.

Here’s the thumbnails of the images:



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s