Daily Progress: Garud Mk. 1 Wings and Main Body

Today’s progress focused on a lot of things, but much of it was planning ahead and thinking about different aspects of painting the textures. The fuselage is far from being completely finished. The biggest issues plaguing me at the moment with the fuselage are how to go about adding realistic wear to it. There is a little bit of wear I’ve already added, if you observe closely:

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 9.32.36 PM.png

Mainly all I’ve done is make an effect of scraped away paint and exposed the underlying metal. I personally feel that it doesn’t really look as good as the original Substance Designer texture I made:
Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.19.56 PM

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 10.24.43 PM

However, to be very fair, that texture did not apply very well, nor does it look super realistic on this model. It may even be best for me not to add too much wear to the aircraft as it might end up ruining the look overall. The other thing is that I have to plan ahead a bit. This aircraft has much more color and texture variety than the Skirmisher if we look at just the way the geometries are constructed. The guns, for example, are much larger on this model than on the Skirmisher, so they demand different types of texture and more texturing. The engines are also outer facing and will probably not be textured straight up camouflage metal. There’s bottom facing engines as well that won’t have the same texture. The openings to the engines can have different textures. The air intakes of the aircraft are also much more prominent. There’s a cockpit. There’s also the sci-fi style pistons (which are actually a part of the Skybreaker engine) exposed outwards. Immediately the aircraft is more complex in terms of textures, without even looking at the individual geometries and how they are model to have some more texture variety.

The other aspect of this aircraft that I may change is adding a separate, larger object for the ailerons onto the wings. Currently the ailerons are attached right onto the wing. But I feel that a prominent aileron setup would be beneficial, especially for animation purposes and also for visual effect.

Another aspect I may change is the base material. Currently I’m using an non-tile version of the base material in the above picture. However, I may remove the camouflage altogether and instead use an olive green texture with some other types of textures so that I can add color variety.

I’ve also started to do some work on the wings as well. I’ve applied the base texture and also applied some panel lines as well. I will be adding the rivets soon too. Here’s what I have:
Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 9.30.29 PM

And the full version of the aircraft in Unity:

Screen Shot 2017-04-04 at 9.30.53 PMScreen Shot 2017-04-04 at 9.30.38 PM

There’s still quite a bit of work to be done, and there are quite a few decisions to make. This model is proving trickier to texture, mainly because of how different it is from the Skirmisher.

As always, like, subscribe, and share!

Here are the thumbnails:

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s